Wednesday, March 4, 2009

I couldn't do it

When I was taking the big step of ordering digital cable the other day, I told the Comcast representative I could install the cable box myself. I saved $20 doing it that way instead of having the service rep do it, and I was completely confident that I could manage it.
.
Last night, I sat down and got down to business. To my surprise, the only "instructions" provided were - a diagram. It showed the back of a DVD player, the back of a cable box, and the back of a TV, with wires going into and out from them. None of my equipment (including, incredibly, the cable box) looked anything remotely like anything in the picture. I peered, scratched my head, tried one configuration, tried another. At one point I even got a screen full of programming code.
.
I just couldn't believe it. Was I really going to fail this task completely? I set up my own Internet configuration, for God's sake. Was a mere cable box going to prove my undoing?
.
Two hours later, disappointed and incredulous, I put the box on a shelf and surrendered. I found myself sourly recalling the following poem that Stephanie and I used to quote when we were kids:
.
The Thing That Couldn't Be Done
.
Somebody said that it couldn't be done --
But he, with a grin, replied,
He'd never be one to say it couldn't be done --
Leastways, not 'til he'd tried.
So he buckled right in, with a trace of a grin,
By golly, he went right to it!
He tackled The Thing That Couldn't Be Done!
...And he couldn't do it.
.
Sigh.
.
Update! I got home from work and learned that the DVD player no longer has sound. So not only did I fail at setting up the cable box... I killed my DVD player, too!
.
But don't feel too sorry for me on that score. I just happen to have a new one arriving in the mail tomorrow. How perfect is that?
.
It's an early birthday present from my fabulous parents. See, I am just stubborn enough about relinquishing old technology that I asked for a DVD/VCR combo, which frankly I'm surprised they even make any more. And, as it happens, that's arriving tomorrow. I have to say, I had no idea I would be wantonly destroying the old one on such a perfect schedule.
.
And I have sent out a cry for help to Andy, who is going to help me set it all up tomorrow night. And then maybe we can all just sit down and watch some TV.
.
Or a DVD.
.
Or - a VHS tape!