Monday, August 25, 2008
Here was our culinary challenge:
Champagne Pomegranate Cocktail
Mini Crab Cakes with Herbed Aioli
Mixed Greens Salad with Pears, Goat Cheese, and Fig Vinaigrette
Roasted Asparagus with Dijon-Lemon Sauce
Cedar Plank-Grilled Salmon with Avocado-Orange Salsa
Farro with Wild Mushrooms
Raspberry Frozen Yogurt
I had the easiest job: the cocktails, which we agreed will need to become a part of our repertoire in the future. And did the cooks ever rise to the task! The dinner was beyond delicious. Sure, there were some minor modifications: the mini-crab cakes were transformed into a succulent dip, the farro was reinvented as a tasty risotto, and the frozen yogurt became a refreshing sorbet. Those were merely the little changes to the menu that personalized the whole experience! Not to mention the fact that Liza and Sammy created a supremely pleasing atmosphere in their garden, and of course there was French wine to be sampled as well.
Merci, Liza! And merci to all the chefs who rose so capably to the task!
And for those of you who might want to give any of those recipes a shot as well, here they are. Enjoy! I sure did.
Saturday, August 23, 2008
Thursday, August 21, 2008
When I fell back asleep, the dream had changed. Now I was looking at my coworker Katy, who was sitting up in the bleachers at a stadium somewhere, looking rather confused. There were a lot of people milling about, but I didn't get to pay much attention to anything else before the alarm sounded again, finally bringing me into Monday morning consciousness.
That day, Katy came into my office. "I dreamt about you last night," I said. "You were sitting in the bleachers somewhere."
Katy, clearly taken aback, stared at me. "Are you serious?" she said. "Last night, I had a dream that I was at my old high-school football stadium, and for some reason there were all these people from work there."
I think I must have slid out of my own dream, hit the snooze button, and slid into Katy's dream, just for the couple of minutes between hitting snooze and being alarmed awake again.
How weird is that.
Wednesday, August 20, 2008
Saturday, August 16, 2008
Why all the pictures? Well, as of today, I have a brand-new scanner... so I will probably be obsessively scanning pictures for a while! :-)
Tuesday, August 12, 2008
Monday, August 11, 2008
As Wendy and I were driving back from yesterday's book-club gathering, we were completely astonished by the sudden appearance of a huge, unbelievably vivid rainbow in what seemed like a massive arc over Ypsilanti. I honestly don't think I've ever seen such rich reds and greens in a rainbow before.
We even saw it reflected in the river as we crossed over Riverside Park. The effect was downright fantastical.
After I got home, I saw people out of their houses all up and down the street, camera phones aloft.
What a sight!
Wendy coined the phrase "a hug over Ypsi" to describe it, and that's exactly what it looked like.
Click on the photo, shamelessly pilfered from Flickr, to see two more pictures of this incredible celestial showstopper, uploaded by the same photographer.
Saturday, August 9, 2008
Wednesday, August 6, 2008
- gone to a baseball game with Scott and the Lockwood brothers...
- saved up Coke Rewards points for a telescope, only to have Coke pull it from the available rewards...so I swore profusely and then cashed out my points for a hand-held Sudoku game and two beer coolers (only they call them Coke coolers: how cute!)...
- watched the stunning "La reine Margot" with the French film crew...
- threw out every food item and rinsed out every last condiment container in the fridge, since my fridge has decided it would rather be a furnace - and left several terse messages on my landlady's voicemail...
- spent a pleasing and barbeque-y evening at Sarah and Andy's...
- watched two episodes of the extraordinary "Mad Men" at Barb's and plan to continue to invade her house every Sunday night as the show continues...
- attended Tim Flood's extraordinary bass and electronics show at Kerrytown Concert House, after which, by sheer providence, I had the opportunity to enjoy a cocktail with Wendy and Liza at Cafe Felix...
- and spent a lot of time wrangling with myself over my upcoming book-club pick! I have it down to a couple of choices. Decisions are fun!
Tuesday, August 5, 2008
Monday, August 4, 2008
And what about Silvia, whose wedding I flew to Italy for in 2000 and with whom I then somehow dropped out of touch? Thanks to Facebook, each of us knows what the other is doing now!
There are loads more fun connections. Long-lost ex-colleagues. Vague acquaintances. Family, of course, and friends. Only one book-club member so far, though!
I found my one-time housemate Gordon on Facebook months ago, and this past weekend, on a visit from San Francisco, he met me in Ann Arbor for lunch. This was someone who last saw me when I was a semi-psychotic twenty-year-old who was walking out of her lease without paying rent! Yet he was forgiving: water under the bridge and whatnot. A happy reunion.
But the blog neglect's gotta go!