Monday, July 20, 2009

Here's to manipulation

.
My mother often lets me in on interesting tidbits she reads about in the news, and recently she had this little anecdote for me:
.
Here's a news story especially for you and Scott: Sussex University has completed a study which shows that cats manipulate people. That special purr they make when people pay attention to them? That is specifically to say, "Now I'll make this attractive sound, and they'll think I love them, and they'll continue to feed me." The story was even on TV news, with Sussex people holding adorable kittens who were purring like mad. So, now you know that you are being manipulated.
.
:-D
.
I responded that I am more than happy to be manipulated. I don't expect people who are indifferent to feline charms to understand this, but the fact is, when Nigel reaches out a paw and gently touches my cheek while gazing into my eyes with his earnest little face, I don't care what his motivation is. I'm a goner either way!