Sunday, June 29, 2008

Three completely unrelated items

1. Went to the Corner on Friday night to send George away in style. Those Sacred Cow IPAs are pure liquid celebration, so there was plenty of merriment to be had, and there were several of us there having it. This is my first real summer visit to the beer garden at the Corner in 2008, I think, and I remember now how thoroughly pleasing it is. We'll miss George. He has been digging around in the old entertainment data sandbox for as long as I have, so it'll be strange to go in on Monday without him there.

2. My dad's condition now has a name: spondylodiscitis. A very rare condition, apparently. And the doctor says he'll be in pain for months yet as it clears up. How frightening that one can just come down with mysterious and rare infections like that at any time, and have doctors scrabbling around trying to figure out what's wrong with you. I'm just glad they figured it out. Now if my stubborn dad would just take his pain meds...!

3. The HBO miniseries John Adams is absolutely mesmerizing. As a matter of fact, I'm about to watch the second episode again, this time with a special feature activated: little historical factoids that pop up with more information... kind of like what Pop-Up Video was for music videos - remember that from a decade ago on VH1? Anyway, John Adams is truly riveting stuff. And what a collection of incredible actors! If you haven't Netflixed it yet, do it. Now.