Monday, April 26, 2010

This and that

First of all, here are a couple more pictures from Scott's birthday. Thanks for taking these, Christi - I love 'em!


Fun times!

Another fun time was last Wednesday, when Liza and I dropped by Cafe Felix for a glass of wine or two and some chatter. (You heard it here first, folks - half off bottles of wine after 7 o'clock at Cafe Felix on Wednesdays. This way, you can order a really good one to share without breaking the bank!) As we were walking toward the cafe, we were passing Amadeus and I happened to mention that I had never eaten there. This was immediately and deliciously remedied! I'm puzzled about why I never ended up eating there, since it opened the same year I moved to Ann Arbor: 1988. Maybe it seemed fussy or something, I don't know. But I'll be back now for sure - I'm still daydreaming about that bitki!

I don't eat at restaurants day in and day out, much as this online record may suggest otherwise... but Scott and I did have his birthday dinner (I know, he already had one, but this was the just-the-two-of-us version) at the Macaroni Grill. Sure, it's a chain restaurant by the mall, but it's pretty scrumptious stuff, and we pretended we weren't in our forties by drawing pictures on the paper tablecloth with the provided crayons.

Hmm. Did I do anything non-restaurant related? Ah - yes! Sarah and Andy came over to watch the Red Wings game last week. They won, and we whooped and shouted. Things are not looking good for the Wings at this point, alas. But that was a great game!

And I read Russell Hoban's Linger Awhile. That was one weird book, but then, it is Russell Hoban. I scrupulously avoid vampire books, but this particular vampire was reconstituted from the light and shadow of an old movie, brought to life through sheer force of will and then fading to black-and-white without fresh infusions of blood. So more Frankenstein than Dracula, really. A wild premise and, like his other books, the story itself was both funny and sad. Next (after I finish the book-club book, of course) is Evelyn's copy of Louise Erdrich's new novel, even though Evelyn wasn't particularly crazy about it. Even a lesser Erdrich effort is something to get excited about, in my opinion.

And I dug up some weeds around the house - not very effectively, but hey, I'm new at this. It's my first spring at the "new" house (we've been here since August, so newish) and I'm determined to plant a thing or two sometime soon. Dig it!