Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Name trivia

Just looked up my name on Is This Your Name (thanks, Sarah!) and discovered this about my last name:

Origin: (Celtic) From suil, eye, and ban, fair: "the fair-eyed."

I didn't know that! I mean, obviously I knew it was Celtic, but this whole "fair-eyed" business is new to me. Too bad my own "fair eyes" are hidden behind heavy prescription glasses, but what can you do.

The other odd thing it says is this:

According to the US Census Bureau, fewer than 0.001% of US residents have the first name 'Maeve' and 0.0891% have the surname 'Sullivan'. The US has around 300 million residents, so we guesstimate there is only 1 American who goes by the name Maeve Sullivan.

So... would that be me? The one American who goes by the name Maeve Sullivan?!

Seems unlikely, somehow. When I put my name in on Facebook, there were dozens and dozens of us. Granted, we seem to be mostly in the United Kingdom, but still. Some of us must be stateside.

Also, in the "Related Blog Posts" section, it actually hit a random post from my very own blog!

Anyway, an interesting name trivia site. Try it yourself!