Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Asthma Schmasthma!


Well, I had a second attack Sunday night, so this means asthma, and this means war. No more wait-and-see. We waited and saw! I spent all night Saturday and much of yesterday gasping for breath, and then went to see the doctor, who basically rolled up his sleeves and said let's get this thing.

He prescribed me a thousand different drugs. Okay, five different drugs, but that's a lot. Including two inhalers! I never thought I'd be trucking around with multiple inhalers. And more steroids.

The scariest part of yesterday was going to the CVS pharmacy to fill the prescriptions. By the time I had walked to the back of the store, I was so out of breath I had to sit down, panting and wheezing, for several minutes before I could approach the counter! All I can say is, it's a good thing I don't fill my prescriptions at Meijer!

Anyway, this blog has become quite the bore. It's all about medications and doctor visits at this point. Let's hope this business wraps up soon. My plan is to keep doing all the right things: avoiding smoke and cold, taking it easy, drinking water, etc.! Otherwise, I'm going to just live my life.

This past week, living my life involved helping to decorate Barb's big, fabulous Christmas tree; enjoying the company holiday party at Pizza House, which involved an open bar and lots of happy people; and acquiring and decorating my first artificial tree, which I must say looks charming! I will post a picture as soon as I can find the plug thingy that connects the camera to the computer. Saturday night was Vikki's holiday/engagement party, which was great - thanks, Vikki, and congratulations. It was particularly fun to see four book-club significant others gathered together in one room! That doesn't happen very often!

Okay, time to do something a little weird. I'm going to actually call a taxi to take me to work. Yep, that's weird. But Scott's teaching and my car pool is at home awaiting a handyman to install a bathroom sink... and while normally I would take a bus without a thought, I'm just too wary of setting anything off this morning to do that. It's not the bus part, it's the walking to and from the bus in the freezing cold part. I'll get back to that after a few days of meds. Meanwhile - caution is king!

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more!