Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Flowers, a poem, and a fresh start

I am touched and pleased by another kind gesture in response to Hank's recent death: when I got home yesterday, I discovered that Barb had sent flowers! They are now a part of Hank's memorial corner:
.
.
Thank you so much, Barb! They're beautiful.
.
Hank was named after the pseudonym used by Charles Bukowski in his novels, Hank Chinaski. Today, Zac e-mailed me a poem I'd forgotten about: Bukowski's "The History of One Tough Motherfucker," about a horribly abused, "cross-eyed, tailless cat" that he had nursed back from the brink of certain death, a cat that had come to represent everything that refuses to lie down and surrender:
.
and now sometimes I'm interviewed, they want to hear about
life and literature and I get drunk and hold up my cross-eyed,
shot, runover de-tailed cat and I say,"look, look
at this!"
.
but they don't understand, they say something like,"you
say you've been influenced by Celine?"
.
"no," I hold the cat up,"by what happens, by
things like this, by this, by this!"
.
Read the whole thing here. It's terrific. Zac, thank you for that.
.
I'm feeling a little better today. Hank is well-represented by his memorial, and I have satisfied my need to look constantly at pictures of him - at least for now. I dug dozens of pictures out of an old box of photos, and at the same time I found all kinds of fun non-Hank photos as well, which I have been scanning and throwing at people on Facebook today. It was fun. And I'm feeling better.
.
Tonight I'll be gathering with some of my favorite people in the world to ring in the new year, and I can't wait.
.
See you in 2009!