Sunday, October 28, 2007

It's applesauce season!

The day I came back from Denmark, feeling melancholy, as always, Scott took me to the Plymouth Orchard cider mill. We got apple butter, cider, and a bag of apples. I would have been even more in the mood if it hadn't been almost 80 degrees and if people hadn't been wearing T-shirts, shorts, and flip-flops. But things have gotten chillier since then, so I'm happy.

Anyway, here's what we did with the apples, and I recommend that you try it, since it makes the best applesauce on this earth. Just dump the following into a slow cooker, in this order--

10 apples, peeled, wedged
2 tablespoons cinnamon
1 can ginger ale


--and then turn it on 'low' for six hours. After it's cooled a bit, mash it up a little bit with a potato masher and refrigerate.

Ooooooh, boy. Not too sweet. Not too tart. Not too cinnamony. Just perfect.

The perfect taste of fall.